Although you do not have to use a registered migration agent to lodge your visa application, they might be able to help you if your case is complex or you require immigration assistance.
Registered migration agents are required to:
- have a sound knowledge of migration law and procedure
- act professionally and in a timely manner
- abide by the Code of Conduct for registered migration agents
- have appropriate insurance
- be a fit and proper person to give immigration assistance and be a person of integrity (this will involve criminal history checks).